You can grab the latest Visual Studio 2017 update now (version 15.2) and view the release notes at https://www.visualstudio.com/en-gb/news/releasenotes/vs2017-relnotes#15.1.26430.16 which was released on 17th July 2017.
Ran into an issue today trying to install “Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4” (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8279) on my Windows 8 Pro Dev Box.
The error given is: –
A problem occurred while installing selected Windows SDK components.
Installation of the “Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7” product has reported the following error: Please refer to Samples\Setup\HTML\ConfigDetails.htm document for further information.
Please attempt to resolve the problem and then start Windows SDK setup again. If you continue to have problems with this issue, please visit the SDKteam support page at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=130245.
Click the View Log button to review the installation log.
To exit, click Finish.
and looks like: –
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable
Before it tries to install it warns you that the “Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable – 10.0.40219” is installed, is newer than the one included and so will not be updated… however this is the cause of the failed install…
Before installing you need to remove all C++ 2010 components.
Note that this issue is not unique to Windows 8, also affects Windows 7 and probably Windows XP too, though not tried it there.
You can also install OK, if during the component selection process you de-select “Microsoft Visual C++ 2010” under “Redistributable Packages” and “Visual C++ Compilers” under “Windows Native Code Development“: –
ASP.NET tooling gets a little better, with updates to Page Inspector, IntelliSense, Publishing and the Editor; Along with a batch of updated project Templates. See: –
for a short-ish (~25min) video on the details.
You can get the ASP.NET and Web Tools 2012.2 installer at: –
For anyone who has missed it and would like play, or would like the updated version the Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) Virtual Machine and Hands-on-Labs from the ALM team at Microsoft, who originally published the VM at the tail end of 2011 for VS 2010. They have updated it to Visual Studio 2012 Update 1 in Dec 2012…
Free download, and well worth looking at… really need to find more time myself to have a dig into this one 🙂
NOTE: you need access to Hyper-V to use this VM, it is x64 and a Hyper-V image so will not run under Microsoft Virtual Machine, as that is x86 only; will probably run under VM Virtualbox or others that support x64. See the ALM blog for full details…
This virtual machine and corresponding hands-on-labs / demo scripts have been upgraded to use Visual Studio 2012 Update 1. One new lab was added, focusing on diagnosing and testing SharePoint 2010 applications with the new ALM tools available in Visual Studio 2012 Update 1. All other labs were revised slightly based on Update 1, with two labs gaining new exercises which demonstrate Update 1 capabilities. New and updated labs are listed in the table below
New features in Visual Studio 2012:
- Agile Project Management in Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012
- Building the Right Software – Generating Storyboards and Collecting Stakeholder Feedback with Visual Studio 2012
- Diagnosing Issues in Production with IntelliTrace and Visual Studio 2012
- Unit Testing, Code Coverage, and Code Clone Analysis with Visual Studio 2012 UPDATED for Update 1
- Making Developers More Productive with Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012
- Exploratory Testing and Other Enhancements in Microsoft Test Manager 2012
- Introduction to PreEmptive Analytics
- Lab Management Improvements in Visual Studio 2012
- Testing and Debugging SharePoint 2010 Applications with Visual Studio 2012 NEW for Update 1Labs upgraded from Visual Studio 2010:
- Authoring and Running Manual Tests using Microsoft Test Manager 2012
- Introduction to Test Planning with Microsoft Test Manager 2012
- Introduction to Test Case Management with Microsoft Test Manager 2012
- Introduction to Platform Testing with Microsoft Test Manager 2012
- Introduction to Coded UI Tests with Visual Studio Ultimate 2012
- Branching and Merging Visualization with Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012
- Debugging with IntelliTrace using Visual Studio Ultimate 2012
- Using Code Analysis with Visual Studio 2012 to Improve Code Quality
- Understanding Class Coupling with Visual Studio Ultimate 2012
- Code Discovery using the Architecture Tools in Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 UPDATED for Update 1
- Using the Architecture Explorer in Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 to Analyze Your Code
- Introduction to Web Performance and Load Testing with Visual Studio Ultimate 2012